Talk Action completed a series of workshops training local unemployed residents in events management, culminating in 5 fantastic community events in North London. The main focus of the project was to improve the lives of the most vulnerable ‘hard-to-reach’ community members by increasing their confidence, providing them with new skills, and inspiring them to create positive change within their communities.
The project ran every year for 3 years and attracted over 100 applicants for just 25 available places.
95% of participants went on to find work, training, or voluntary positions.
Three months ‘training & doing’
We make sure that all participants not only learn new skills but also put them into practice.
- Morning workshops that are fun, interactive & educational, on topics such as planning, accounts, marketing & health & safety
- We interweave these practical skills with more ‘soft skills’ such as teamwork, conflict resolution, and assertiveness
- In the afternoon participants work in small groups and plan their own events
- The project ends with everyone’s events, awards ceremony & party!
The project is in partnership with St.Luke’s Community Centre with funding from the Big Lottery.
"The Course is wonderful!"Claire (My Streets Participant)
- Event planning
- Engaging your communities
- Marketing and design
- Funding, sponsors, freebies
- Licensing – health & safety, risk assessment and safety management
- On the day & site management (plus stewards, volunteers & security
- Working as a team
- Active listening
- Positive body language
- Managing conflict
- Add your course experience to your CV
"Very satisfying, rewarding and a great sense of achievement."David (My Streets Participant)